I love my grandmother. She is 86 years old. She can recall the Great Depression and World War II. She has been thru quite a bit of adversity in her years on this earth. She still lives on her own, and very independently I might add. She is the last of her family and friends that is still on this earth. The love and admiration I have for her is beyond description.
One of my thoughts on career choices have to do with helping the elderly. I love old people. They are cute (most of them anyway), full of life lessons and wisdom, and in need AND deserving of a little help from those of us that are younger. They deserve more respect than our society shows them. That is a whole other subject I will hit on another day.
So when I was visiting with her the other day, I had a question for her. I asked her if any of her friends or acquaintances would pay to have someone (ME, ME, ME) help them out with errands or work around their homes, that type of thing. My grandmother in her loving fashion pointed out to me that, while it is a good idea, most people can not or will not pay someone to do those things for them. Many of them will feel they cannot afford it, and the ones that will pay won't pay what you feel would be appropriate. Hmmmmm....food for thought I guess.
So this is what I think. We need to utilize the people in our lives for feedback, support, and honesty. How am I going to find that "thing" that is right for me if I don't ask for input and opinions? Who better to give insight and opinions than someone that has lived a fuller life than myself? I love having my grandmother in my life for her love, support, insight, and opinions (and she does have plenty of opinions). I think everyone should take advantage of what the elders in our lives have to offer us. Other societies value their elders and hold them in the highest regard. We should be doing the same for ours.
No comments:
Post a Comment